Thursday, January 26, 2012

Benne Seed Wafers

Benne Seed Wafers
Benne Seed Wafers:  An old Southern recipe, these thin, crisp, cookie-like wafers are made of butter, flour, brown or white sugar, and toasted sesame seeds.  You can toast the sesame seeds in the skillet or the oven; just be sure to watch them closely because they brown quickly. pg44


Okay, I seriously need to follow better instructions!  Like I'm totally not kidding.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  I completely forgot to add the baking powder!  I'm not sure exactly how much different it would have them, maybe more "cracker-like" but either way, somehow I just skimmed over the part about adding the baking powder.  Oopsy.  I will say that they are quite delicious.  The sesame seeds give them a slight nutty taste.  They are just as the book describes them, crispy and cookie-like, but not as sweet as most cookies.  I would imagine they would be awesome with a little jam spread on top.  Yum.  Or even better, a little peanut butter spread between two of those little wafers.  Double Yum.  They would be a perfect little treat for a bridal or baby shower, being that they're delicate and all.  A good little recipe to keep on hand.  Easy to make too, and they only bake for 10 minutes!

Southernism:  South Carolinians referred to sesame seeds as benne seeds since the seventeenth century when Africans first brought the seeds to this this country.  Though cooks in South Carolina use benne seeds in a variety of recipes, the most popular use is in the benne seed wafers.

No comments:

Post a Comment