Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sauce of the Gods!

Surf & Turf with Bearnaise Sauce
Bearnaise Sauce (bair NAYZ)pg.36. A classic French sauce made with butter, vinegar, egg yolks, shallots, and tarragon and served with meat, seafood, eggs and vegetables.  

Seriously a sauce of the Gods!  NO joking.  I don't believe I've ever even had this sauce before, and I don't know how I've lived this long without it.  If I have had it, I didn't know what it was and it certainly couldn't have been as amazingly delicious as the the one I made last night.  Not to toot my own horn or anything, but holy crap was it good!  I mean really, holy crap!  It was rich, and creamy and oh so dreamy.  Yeah that's right, I rhymed.  I have rekindled my love for tarragon...and butter for that matter.  Watch out Shawn!  Ha ha! J/K.  OK so Southern living suggests it goes well with just about anything, so I decided to make a surf turf accompanied by mash potatoes and greens.  Greens were compliments of Momzy of course.  I give credit where credit is deserved!  I could seriously live off of greens, but that's an entirely differently story or another day.  I did however cheat with the mashed potatoes.  They were instant.  Don't hate, it was really late by the time I started cooking last night.  Soooooo...anyway...I totally overcooked the steak, like always, but who cares when it's drizzled Bearnaise sauce?  Right?  Being that I've never made or had this sauce before, I wasn't sure how thick it was supposed to be and the directions did not specify how long to simmer the sauce or did it give an example of the consistency.  It only said to "stir constantly until smooth and thickened."  I almost took it off the stove too soon, but thankfully I held out a little longer.  After about 20 minutes or so of stirring constantly, it finally started to thicken up to where it wasn't like a runny liquid.  Have I said "Holy Crap" yet?  If it wasn't so rich, and if I didn't know how much butter was actually in it, I'd eat it by the spoon fulls.  I'm totally not kidding.  I'm just imagining all the things I could put this sauce on...Mmmmm...OK, let me stop before I get too crazy.  With slightly more than minimal effort and patience, this will be a "go-to" sauce for years to come. 
Bearnaise Sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment