Thursday, January 12, 2012

Holy Beignet!

If Heaven had clouds, and those clouds were edible, they would be called beingets.  It was a rocky start, but the end result is, if I keep eating them, my hips will seriously get bigger.  I'm trying incredibly hard to omit foods with any processed flour or added sugar.  Which might I add is really hard when you're making your way through a Southern Living Cookbook.  I mean, I had to try one, solely for the purpose of this experience.  It was just really hard to stop at just one.  So...I ate three, and had to walk away.  Literally, I'm sitting in the den, the kitchen is no where in my sight.
Beignets


I've never made beignets before, and I'm pretty sure I've never eaten them before either.  Basically they are a fancy name for "fritter" which is a fancy name for "doughnut hole."  Oddly enough, I'm not a big fan of doughnuts, or their holes.  I'll tear up an apple fritter, or bear claw, but doughnuts where never my choice of breakfast pastry.


Beignet:pg41 (ben YAY)  A French fritter, similar to a yeast doughnut, that's deep fried until crisp, puffy, and golden.  It's typically served hot with a generous dusting of powder sugar.  Savory beignets, filled with herbs or crab meat, are also popular.  Right?

So OK, the yeast is supposed to rise twice.  Once after you kneed it, and then again after you roll it out and cut it, right before you fry it.  Well...It didn't really rise.  Either time.  I mean, maybe I was looking for something theatrical to happen, like, I don't know, spill out all over, or at least appear to be somewhat alive.  But that didn't happen.  It certainly didn't entertain me while I was waiting for it to do "it's thang."  So after about 2 hours, I said "screw it" and went ahead and rolled it out, cut it and waited for it rise again...and well, maybe my dough was just lacking in personality.  But once I started frying it, it puffed up just like it was supposed to.  Like it just had a little stage freight.  Once it got going it was spectacular!  That's right, I said "SPECTACULAR."  I wonder, if they will still be good in the morning...Do you think they'll get stale?  Or soggy?  Hmmm...I hope not.  I'll bring them to work and let those lovey ladies and gents be the judges.  That is, if my husband doesn't eat them all before he goes to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment