Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My house smelled like Christmas!

OK so early last week I made some Apple Butter!  I made two different batches.  One from the book, and the other, one of my personal recipes.  I altered the one in the book mainly because of one particular food natzi in my family, well she's more like a sugar natzi, who will remain nameless.  But you know who are.  Ha ha!  So I will blog about that one.  
Oven Baked Apple Butterpg18  In my recipe, I cook mine in slow cooker.  This one, however is baked, which worked pretty well, except for the fact I felt like I had to keep adding liquid to the baking dish.  I feel if I had just left it in the dutch oven I cooked the apples down in, with the lid on, it wouldn't dry out as much.  The only thing I changed in this recipe is I switched out the sugar for Spenda.  It tasted pretty good if you don't mind artificial sweetener.  I did noticed the color of the butter wasn't as dark as I would think it would be had I used the real deal.  Notice the difference in the two jars in the picture?  The one on the right is full of sinful, delicious sugar, and the one on the left is the more figure friendly imposture version.  Both so deliscious, I decided to can them and give them as gifts this year for Christmas.  Oh, and BTW, apple butter is best when served on hot, fresh out the oven biscuits!  Yummy!!!
Canning:pg82  Preserving food by heating jars of food hot enough and long enough, and, with some of food, under enough pressure to keep food from spoiling.                        

1 comment: