Tuesday, November 22, 2011

First official entry...

Grilled Acorn Squash with Rosemary
OK, so for my first EVER (I capitalize because I'm seriously that excited) adventure in what already appears to be quite the learning experience, I made Grilled Acorn Squash with Rosemarypg10 , which is the very first recipe in the book. Along with that I made Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Molasses Saucepg516.   Err...well it was actually more like pork loin chops.  I obviously misread the ingredient list before I went to the store today. (*Note to self:  Double check ingredient list before going to the store.)  So I made do with what I had because I sooo did not want to drive the very few miles back to Harvey's.  Oh, and I also want to mention that I may end up actually whipping up these concoctions  slightly out of the order they are printed in the book because, well I want to.  I'm gonna try to put two or more things with each other in a meal so I knock more of them out quicker...efficiency.  Where was I?  Oh, the the food, duh.  OK, the Grilled Acorn Squash with Rosemary.  The only way I ever made squash was roasted in the oven, so needles to say that grilling it was something new for me.  First off, let me tell you, it takes some serious muscle to slice through those little babies, and make sure you have an super sharp knife.  The directions didn't say to take the seed out, but I did anyway, because that would just be weird, and probably slimy.  Then I marinated the slices in oil, vinegar and rosemary.  Easy enough.  Grilling took a long time on my little pan.  Next time I'll use the actual grill (that's usually my husbands domain).  So, the taste?  OK I guess.  I'm not sure it's something I would cook often, but I'd make it again.  The texture was nice and leaving the skin on seemed to be fine.  It wasn't rubbery like I had expected.  There was the savoriness of the the squash and the sweetness from the rosemary that made for a really nice pairing, like they were BFF's.
Grill Pork Tenderloin(chop) with Molasses Sauce
And as for the Pork Tenderloin.  Mmm...it was good.  I could only imagine that it would be better as a whole tenderloin and not a chop (being that's what the recipe called for in the first place).  The molasses sauce was really good, although I think I might have reduced it a little too much, it was more like a gravy, but nevertheless a good gravy.  This was the first time in my entire life I didn't over cook the pork.  Pork is not my strong suite. It usually comes out really chewy and icky, and I end up feeding it to the dogs, but not this time!  It was good.  Again, I probably won't make it a whole lot.  Oooh, it would be great in a panini tho, with some pepper jack cheese and arugula.  Can you say lunch tomorrow?  Holla!

No comments:

Post a Comment